Monday 7 October 2013

Debunking Myths


An Assignment for Dr. Ikechukwu Obiaya:

Life is a compendium of experiences, and I have come to discover that you ‘own’ your experiences. On a cool, rainy evening in September, on the 13th precisely, I got married to my friend of 5 years. It was an exciting milestone for us because we had scaled many hurdles, including the prejudiced opinions of many people, to get here; many had thought we would not succeed at marriage because we were not financially stable enough to embark on such a venture.
Despite recorded video evidence, in which we both declared that we would wait two years to have children, I found myself pregnant in the first month of the marriage. I had entered married life as a naivete and knew nothing about how to prevent pregnancy, as difficult as this might be to believe. I have had to learn so many things in marriage. Anyway, with the pregnancy came all sorts of advice from all and sundry. As a first time mother-to-be, I was naturally curious about the changes in my body and a bit anxious about how I would handle the process of labor. I had heard lots of  tales about how excruciatingly painful the experience was, and how first time mothers in particular were known to labor for hours on end, and even days, before they had their babies.  Then a friend gave me a book to read called, Supernatural childbirth  by Jackie Mize. That book revolutionized my thinking on the birth process. It was written from a godly perspective with copious quotes from the Scriptures to back up its claims. As I read it, I began to visualize a smooth, painless and stress free birth experience for myself.
On the 17th of June, 2003, nearly two weeks after my expected date of delivery, I went into labor; contrary to the 3 stages of labor that most delivery books postulate, I only experienced one - the final stage! As soon as the contractions began, I was already ready for the baby’s birth. My husband and mum rushed me to the hospital within minutes of my experiencing tummy cramps, which quickly metamorphosed into regular contractions. As soon as we got to hospital, the nurses chided us a bit for delaying at home, explaining that my baby’s head was already crowning. We barely had time to explain that we had not delayed at all when, less than 30 minutes after our arrival in the hospital, we were welcoming our first daughter into the world. The birth was painful but short and smooth.
I have learnt, through this awe-inspiring experience that, in as much as the experiences of others count, you should not cast them in stone. Yours could be totally different. Contrary to speculations that we were not buoyant enough to get married, 11 years after, we are still standing strong; and contrary to pregnancy myths about childbirth, my own experiences have been radically different. These lessons have stayed, and I am better for having had them.



10 comments:

  1. I agree with you Ivy, just as our faces are different so our experiences, most of the beliefs we hold on to are nothing but "myths". Go through life and experience it your own way and let your experiences be your teacher, if you find yourself in the same situation as another person then know it was just mere coincidence .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ud. I'm appreciative.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you too. Although we cannot rule out the advice of others, it doesn't mean what works for them can work for you. Different strokes for different folks they say.

      Delete
    3. Sure, Vivian. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Real talk. We are all uniquely created by God with unique genes and with different and unique personalities which is determined by what we were taught as kids by both people and our growing up environment. Thus the way our minds and bodies act or react in a particular situation differ. Let us take your case for example, your marriage has lasted for up to 11 years and against all odds and expectation because of you and your spouses unique personalities and Gods divine favour. But I can bet you that a lot of other marriages in your similar situations have failed and even within a year. Thus the key to making good decisions in life is to know yourself very well and also to have the Fear of God in you because Gods fear will give you the wisdom you need to rightly divide peoples opinions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anieti-Mfon. You summed it up aptly! Thank you very much for visiting and do stop by again. God bless you.

      Delete
  3. You believed and you received! That is as natural a law of nature as any!!! beautiful story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my sister. Thanks for stopping by. God bless you.

      Delete
  4. i claim that mine will be different from all the mind numbing stories i hear.
    ezechimereuchenna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ameeeeeen! And you shall have what you desire. Thanks for visiting. God bless you.

      Delete

Please do not navigate away without dropping a line. Your opinion counts. Thank you.